12.04.2011

Another shot of "Hurdling Like the Ocean".  I'm pretty happy how this one turned out.  I actually didn't get to see the letters and painted drawing together until the night before I had to submit the works.  It worked out perfectly that the letters created a great drop shadow into the ocean. One on looker mentioned that it gave the piece a more real sense of time with the sun setting. I liked that idea.

 "Hurdling Like the Ocean" Acrylic and Gouache on Arches 300lb. paper with routed dimensional letters in fabricated frame 2011.


The original inspiration for the piece.  Me at about 5 years old. For as long as I could remember, I've had this grainy phantom like memory of distant beach but couldn't figure out if it was real or a dream. A few years ago when I went to visit relatives in El Salvador we went to that exact beach and the memory came rushing back to me.  This photo was in an old photo album at my relatives as if it was waiting for me to come back after all these years.  I always knew I wanted to do something with it.


Me today.  Thanks for the shot Felix.